Effective Date: January 1, 2023
The REI Cooperative Action Fund (also referred to as "we" or "us") is a community-funded public charity, which directly supports organizations that promote justice, equity and belonging in the outdoors to strengthen the health and well-being of people and communities.
This Privacy Notice ("Notice") explains how the REI Cooperative Action Fund collects, uses, and discloses personal information about you. For purposes of this Notice, personal information includes "personal data" and similar terms as defined under applicable privacy laws.
- Who Does This Notice Cover?
- How Is This Notice Updated?
- What Personal Information Do We Collect?
- How Do We Use Your Personal Information?
- What About Analytics Services Provide By Others?
- Where Do We Process And Store Your Information?
- How Do We Disclose Your Personal Information?
- What Are Your Privacy Rights And Choices?
- Are There Additional Disclosures for Individuals Located In California?
- Are There Additional Disclosures for Individuals Located In Europe?
- How Can You Contact Us?
Who Does This Notice Cover?
How Is This Notice Updated?
REI Cooperative Action Fund may change this Notice from time to time. If we make changes, we will notify you by revising the Effective Date above and, in some cases, we may provide you with more prominent notice (for example, by adding a statement to our homepage or sending you a notification), such as in connection with making material changes to this Notice. We encourage you to review this Notice regularly to stay informed about our information practices and the choices available to you.
What Personal Information Do We Collect?
Information You Provide to Us. We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you make a donation, register for an event, sign up for our mailing lists (including email), submit a recommendation for a grantee, participate in a survey, engage with us via social media platforms, and when you email, call, or otherwise communicate with us.
The types of information we may collect include your name, address, phone number, email address, ZIP code, donation information, event registration information, social media usernames, gender, information about your interests and preferences related to REI Cooperative Action Fund, and any other information you choose to provide.
In some cases, we may also collect information you provide about others, such as when you make a donation in honor of another individual. We will use this information to inform the individual of your donation.
Information We Collect Automatically. When you access or use the Services, we automatically collect certain information about you, including:
- Donation Information: When you make a donation, we collect information about the transaction, such as the donation amount and the date of donation.
- Device and Usage Information: We obtain information about the device you use to access our Services and your use of our Services, including the type of browser you use, hardware model, operating system, mobile network information, IP address, unique device identifiers, access times, pages viewed, links clicked, browsing behavior, and the webpage you visited before navigating to our Services.
Information We Collect from Other Sources. We may also receive information about you from other sources. For example:
- We may collect information about you from Recreational Equipment, Inc.
- We may collect information about you from third party sources, such as mailing list providers and non-profit data services.
- We may collect information about you from other users if they choose to disclose that information with us via the Services, such as if they make a donation in your honor and ask us to notify you about such donation.
Information We Infer or Derive About You. We may derive information or draw inferences about you based on the information we collect. For example, we may use your IP address to draw inferences about your approximate location, or we may make inferences about your interests related to the REI Cooperative Action Fund based on other information you provide.
How Do We Use Your Personal Information?
We use the information we collect about you to provide, maintain, and improve our Services and the other interactions we have with you and to operate the REI Cooperative Action Fund. We also use the information we collect to:
- facilitate and improve your online experience;
- process donations and send you related information, including confirmations and receipts;
- provide technical support (including to debug and troubleshoot), and send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, support messages, and other transactional or relationship messages;
- detect, investigate, and help prevent security incidents, fraudulent transactions, and other malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activities and help protect the rights and property of the REI Cooperative Action Fund and others;
- respond to your comments and questions and provide support;
- communicate with you about the REI Cooperative Action Fund and our advocacy and stewardship initiatives and send you surveys, updates, news, events, and other information we think will be of interest to you (for information about how to manage promotional communications, please see the Promotional Communications subsection of the What Are Your Privacy Rights and Choices? section below);
- comply with our legal and financial obligations;
- monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Services and activities;
- tailor the content and information that we send or display to you and otherwise personalize your experience while using our Services; and
- carry out any other purpose conveyed to you at the time the information was collected.
What About Analytics Services Provided by Others?
How Do We Disclose Your Personal Information?
In certain circumstances, we disclose (or permit others to directly collect) information about you. The list below describes when and to whom we disclose the categories of personal information described in the What Personal Information Do We Collect? section above.
- with service providers, vendors, contractors, or agents who complete transactions or perform services on our behalf, such as those that assist us with our business and internal operations like processing donations, web hosting, fraud prevention, customer service, personalization, and marketing;
- at your direction, including when you share actions you take on the Services with social media, and vice versa, or otherwise direct the REI Cooperative Action Fund to disclose your personal information to a third party;
- in connection with, or during negotiations concerning, any merger, acquisition of all or a portion of our organization by another entity, joint venture, corporate reorganization, insolvency or bankruptcy, financing or sale of the organization's assets;
- if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law, regulation, or legal process, including lawful requests by public authorities to meet law enforcement or national security requirements;
- between and among any current and future parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and other entities under common control and ownership; and
- with your consent.
We also disclose aggregated or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you. REI Cooperative Action Fund processes, maintains, and uses this information only in a de-identified fashion and will not attempt to re-identify such information, except as permitted by law.
Where Do We Process and Store Your Information?
We are based in the United States and process and store personal information on servers located in the U.S. Where required by law, we provide adequate protection for the transfer of personal information in accordance with applicable law, such as by obtaining your consent, relying on the European Commission’s adequacy decisions, executing Standard Contractual Clauses, or complying with another approved data transfer mechanism. Where relevant, you may request a copy of the data transfer mechanism by contacting us at privacy@REIFund.org.
What Are Your Privacy Rights and Choices?
Access, Correction, and Deletion. Depending on where you reside, you may have the right to (1) request to know more about and access the personal information we collect, use, and disclose about you, (2) request deletion of your personal information, and (3) request correction of inaccurate personal information.
To request access, correction, or deletion of your personal information, submit a request here or send an email to privacy@REIFund.org. If you make a donation, we automatically create a donor profile for you. You may update or correct your online profile, including making changes to recurring donations and editing your email preferences, by logging into the self-service webpage here and updating your information or by emailing us at info@REIFund.org. You may also email us at info@REIFund.org if you wish to deactivate your online profile, but note that we may retain information about you for legitimate business purposes or as required by law.
We may verify your request by asking you to provide information related to your recent interactions with the REI Cooperative Action Fund, such as information regarding a recent donation. If we deny your request, you may appeal our decision by contacting us at privacy@REIFund.org. If you have concerns about the results of an appeal, you may contact the attorney general in the state where you reside.
Nondiscrimination. We will not discriminate against you for exercising your privacy rights.
Promotional Communications. You may opt out of receiving promotional communications from REI Cooperative Action Fund by following the instructions in those communications, or through the self-service webpage here. If you opt out of receiving promotional communications, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as emails about your donations.
Cookies. Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually adjust your browser settings to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that removing or rejecting cookies could affect the availability and functionality of our Services.
Are There Additional Disclosures for Individuals Located in California?
The California Consumer Privacy Act ("CCPA") requires us to explain some information using certain definitions and categories set out in the CCPA. If you reside in California, this section applies to you and describes our data practices toady and in the preceding 12 months.
California Categories of Personal Information. We collect the following: identifiers (such as your name, email address, or IP address), commercial information (such as records of donations), Internet or other electronic network activity information (such as browsing history and information about your activities on our Services), geolocation data (such as city of residence), and inferences drawn about your preferences and other categories that relate to or are reasonably capable of being associated with you. For more details about the precise data points we collect and the sources of such collection, see the "What Personal Information Do We Collect?” section above.
Retention. We store personal information for as long as necessary to carry out the purposes for which we originally collected it and for other business purposes explained in this Notice, including to meet our legal, regulatory, or other compliance obligations.
Purposes for Processing. We collect personal information for the business and commercial purposes described in the "How Do We Use Your Personal Information?" section above.
Categories of Recipients. We make disclosures to the following categories of recipients:
|Category of Personal Data||Categories of Recipients|
|Identifiers||Cloud Service Providers, Payment Processing Companies, Analytics Companies, Fraud Prevention Companies, Marketing Companies, Operational and Administrative Services Companies|
|Commercial Information||Cloud Service Providers, Payment Processing Companies, Marketing Companies, Fraud Prevention Companies|
|Internet or Other Electronic Network Activity||Cloud Service Providers, Analytics Companies, Marketing Companies, Fraud Prevention Companies|
|Geolocation Data||Cloud Service Providers, Analytics Companies, Fraud Prevention Companies, Operational and Administrative Services Companies|
|Inferences||Cloud Service Providers, Analytics Companies, Marketing Companies|
We do not sell or share personal information to third parties.
Your Rights: Please see the "What Are Your Privacy Rights and Choices?" section above for more information about your privacy rights and how to exercise them.
If you are submitting a rights request as an authorized agent, you are required to submit proof of your authorization to make the request, such as a valid power of attorney or proof that you have signed permission from the individual who is the subject of the request. Please do not provide any sensitive personal information in connection with this request, such as a driver's license or other government-issued ID. In some cases, we may be required to contact the individual who is the subject of the request to verify his or her own identity or confirm you have permission to submit this request. If you are an authorized agent seeking to make a request to access, correction, or deletion of your personal information, submit this webform or please email us at privacy@REIFund.org.
Are There Additional Disclosures for Individuals Located in Europe?
If you are located in the European Economic Area ("EEA"), the United Kingdom, or Switzerland, the following section applies to you.
Legal Basis for Processing. When we process your personal information, we will only do so when:
- We need to use your personal information to perform our responsibilities under a contract with you, for example to process your donation.
- We have a legitimate interest in processing your personal information. For example, to send you receipts concerning donations you make to us, and to provide, secure, and improve our Services.
- We find such processing is necessary to comply with our legal obligations.
- We have your consent to do so. When your consent is the legal basis for our processing, you may withdraw such consent at any time.
Data Retention. We store the information we collect about you for as long as is necessary for the purpose(s) for which we collected it or for other legitimate business purposes, including to meet our legal, regulatory, or other compliance obligations.
Data Subject Requests. Please see the "What Are Your Privacy Rights and Choices?" section above for more information about your privacy rights and how to exercise them. In addition, you may have the right to object to certain processing or request we restrict certain processing. To exercise any of these rights, please email privacy@REIFund.org.
Questions or Complaints. If you have a concern about our processing of personal information that we are not able to resolve, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Authority where you reside. Contact details for your Data Protection Authority can be found using the links below:
- For individuals in the EEA: https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en
- For individuals in the UK: https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/
- For individuals in Switzerland: https://www.edoeb.admin.ch/edoeb/en/home/the-fdpic/contact.html
How Can You Contact Us?
If you have any questions, comments or concerns about this Notice or about our privacy practices, please send an email message to privacy@REIFund.org. You may also direct your privacy-related comments or questions to the following address:
REI Cooperative Action Fund
1700 45th Street E., Suite 101
Sumner, Washington 98390