Effective Date: September 15, 2021
The REI Cooperative Action Fund (also referred to as “we” or “us”) is a community-funded public charity, which directly supports organizations that promote justice, equity and belonging in the outdoors to strengthen the health and well-being of people and communities.
This Privacy Notice (“Notice”) explains how the REI Cooperative Action Fund collects, uses, and shares information about you when you access or use our websites or other online services (collectively, the “Services”), make a donation, attend our events, or otherwise interact with us.
For purposes of this Notice, personal information includes "personal data" and similar terms as defined under applicable privacy laws.
REI Cooperative Action Fund may change this Notice from time to time. If we make changes, we will notify you by revising the Effective Date above and, in some cases, we may provide you with more prominent notice (such as adding a statement to our homepage or sending you a notification). We encourage you to review this Notice regularly to stay informed about our information practices and the choices available to you.
- What Personal Information Do We Collect?
- How Do We Use Personal Information?
- Where Do We Store Personal Information?
- When Do We Share Personal Information?
- What Choices Do You Have?
- What Additional Privacy Rights Do California Residents Have?
- What Additional Privacy Rights Do Individuals in Europe Have?
- How Can You Contact Us?
What Personal Information Do We Collect?
Information You Provide to Us. We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you make a donation, register for an event, sign up for our mailing lists (including email), submit a recommendation for a grantee, participate in a survey, and email, call, or otherwise communicate with us.
The types of information we may collect include your name, address, phone number, email address, ZIP code, donation information, event registration information, information about your preferences and interests related to REI Cooperative Action Fund, and any other information you choose to provide. If you choose to make a donation in honor of another individual, we will collect such individual’s name, address, or email address to inform them of your donation, if you choose to provide it.
Information We Collect Automatically. When you access or use the Services, we automatically collect certain information about you, including:
- Log and Usage Information: We obtain information about the device you use to access our Services and your use of our Services, including the type of browser you use, hardware model, screen size, operating system, mobile network information, IP address, unique device identifiers, access times, pages viewed, links clicked, browsing behavior, and referring URL (the webpage you visited before navigating to our Services).
Information We Collect from Other Sources. We may also receive information about you from other sources and combine or link that with information we have about you. For example:
- We may collect information about you from Recreational Equipment, Inc.
- We may collect information about you from third party sources, such as mailing list providers and non-profit data services.
- We may collect information about you from other users if they choose to share that information with us via the Services, such as if they make a donation in your honor and ask us to notify you about such donation.
Information We Infer or Derive About You. We may use or combine personal information that you provide, that we collect automatically, or that we obtain from other sources to derive or infer additional personal information about you. For example, we may use your IP address to estimate your general location, or we may make inferences about your interests related to the REI Cooperative Action Fund based on other information you provide.
How Do We Use Personal Information?
We use the information we collect about you to provide, maintain, and improve our Services and the other interactions we have with you and to operate the REI Cooperative Action Fund. For example, we use the information we collect to:
- facilitate and improve your online experience;
- process donations and send you related information, including confirmations and receipts;
- provide technical support (including to debug and troubleshoot), and send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- detect, investigate and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities and protect the rights and property of the REI Cooperative Action Fund and others;
- respond to your comments and questions;
- communicate with you about the REI Cooperative Action Fund and our advocacy and stewardship initiatives and send you surveys, updates, and other information we think will be of interest to you (for information about how to manage promotional communications, please see “What Choices Do You Have?” below);
- comply with our legal and financial obligations;
- monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Services and activities;
- personalize your experience with us;
- link or combine with other information we receive from third parties to help understand your preferences and provide you with personalized experiences; and
- carry out any other purpose conveyed to you at the time the information was collected.
Where Do We Store Personal Information?
We are based in the United States and process and store the information we collect on servers in the U.S. If you are based outside the U.S., we transfer your personal information to, and process your personal information on, servers located in the U.S., a jurisdiction that may not provide equivalent levels of data protection as your home jurisdiction.
When Do We Share Personal Information?
We share personal information outside of the REI Cooperative Action Fund in limited circumstances, such as:
- with service providers, vendors, contractors, or agents who perform services on our behalf, such as those that assist us with processing donations, web hosting, fraud prevention, customer service, personalization, and marketing;
- in connection with, or during negotiations of, organizational changes, such as a merger or reorganization of all or a portion of our organization to another entity;
- in response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with any applicable law, regulation, or legal process, including lawful requests by public authorities to meet law enforcement or national security requirements;
- between and among any affiliate organizations to the REI Cooperative Action Fund; and
- with your consent.
We may also share aggregated or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
What Choices Do You Have?
Promotional Communications. You may opt out of receiving promotional communications from REI Cooperative Action Fund by following the instructions in those communications, or through the self-service webpage here. If you opt out of receiving promotional communications, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as emails about your donations.
Your Online Profile. If you make a donation, we automatically create a donor profile for you. You may update or correct your online profile, including making changes to recurring donations and editing your email preferences, by logging into the self-service webpage here and updating your information or by emailing us at info@REIFund.org. You may also email us at info@REIFund.org if you wish to deactivate your online profile, but note that we may retain information about you for legitimate business purposes or as required by law.
What Additional Privacy Rights Do California Residents Have?
California residents are afforded certain rights with respect to their personal information under the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”). If you reside in California, this section applies to you.
Collection, Use and Disclosure of Personal Information: In the preceding 12 months, we collected the following categories of personal information: identifiers, commercial information, Internet or other electronic network activity, and inferences drawn about your preferences. For examples of the precise data points we collect and the sources of such collection, please see “What Personal Information Do We Collect?” above. We collect personal information for the business and commercial purposes described in the “How Do We Use Personal Information?” section above. We share personal information with the categories of third parties described in the “When Do We Share Personal Information?” section above.
In the preceding 12 months, we have disclosed the following categories of personal information for business and commercial purposes to the following categories of recipients:
|Category of Personal Data||Categories of Recipients|
|Identifiers||Cloud Service Providers, Payment Processing Companies, Analytics Companies, Fraud Prevention Companies, Marketing Companies, Operational and Administrative Services Companies|
|Commercial Information||Cloud Service Providers, Payment Processing Companies, Marketing Companies, Fraud Prevention Companies|
|Internet or Other Electronic Network Activity||Cloud Service Providers, Analytics Companies, Marketing Companies, Fraud Prevention Companies|
|Inferences||Cloud Service Providers, Analytics Companies, Marketing Companies|
We do not sell personal information to third parties.
Your Rights: Subject to certain limitations, you have the right to (1) request to know more about the categories and specific pieces of personal information we collect, use, and disclose for a business purpose, (2) request deletion of your personal information, (3) opt out of any “sales” of your personal information that may be occurring, and (4) not be discriminated against for exercising these rights. You may make these requests by sending an email to privacy@REIFund.org. We will verify your request by asking you to provide information related to your recent interactions with the REI Cooperative Action Fund, such as information regarding a recent donation. If we receive a request from an authorized agent and the agent does not provide a valid power of attorney, we may ask the authorized agent to provide proof that he or she has signed permission to submit such request on your behalf. In the absence of a valid power of attorney, we may also require you to verify your own identity directly with us or confirm to us that you otherwise provided the authorized agent permission to submit the request. If you are an authorized agent seeking to make a request on behalf of a California resident, please email us at privacy@REIFund.org. We will not discriminate against you if you choose to exercise your rights under the CCPA.
What Additional Privacy Rights Do Individuals in Europe Have?
If you are located in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), the United Kingdom, or Switzerland, the following section applies to you.
Legal Basis for Processing. When we process your personal information, we will only do so when:
- We need to use your personal information to perform our responsibilities under a contract with you, for example to process your donation.
- We have a legitimate interest in processing your personal information. For example, to send you receipts concerning donations you make to us, and to provide, secure, and improve our Services.
- We find such processing is necessary to comply with our legal obligations.
- We have your consent to do so. When your consent is the legal basis for our processing, you may withdraw such consent at any time.
Data Retention. We store the information we collect about you for as long as is necessary for the purpose(s) for which we collected it or for other legitimate business purposes, including to meet our legal, regulatory, or other compliance obligations.
Data Subject Requests. Subject to certain limitations, you have the right to access personal information we hold about you and to ask that your personal information be corrected, erased, or transferred. You may also have the right to object to, or request that we restrict, certain processing. If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please send an email message toprivacy@REIFund.org.
Questions or Complaints. If you have a concern about our processing of your personal information that we are not able to resolve, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Authority where you reside. Contact details for your Data Protection Authority can be found using the links below:
- For individuals in the EEA: https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en
- For individuals in the UK: https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/
- For individuals in Switzerland: https://www.edoeb.admin.ch/edoeb/en/home/the-fdpic/contact.html
How Can You Contact Us?
If you have any questions, comments or concerns about this Notice or about our privacy practices, please send an email message to privacy@REIFund.org. You may also direct your privacy-related comments or questions to the following address:
REI Cooperative Action Fund
Attention: Privacy Officer
1700 45th Street E.
Sumner, Washington 98352